Community Favorites

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Stamping Leaves



Ok ~ The title may be a little misleading.  I'm not talking about finding a favorite leaf stamp, inking it up and pressing the image onto a surface...  I'm talking about natures beauty herself!  Pressed, dried and adorned with a beautiful accent in ink!  and/or embossing powder too!!

Sending and receiving Autumn greetings is wonderful, but how much more special to receive an actual leaf!  Unexpected and beautiful with just a little extra "WOW" factor!! 

The problem for me has been in trying to keep the leaf from snapping into pieces!  I looked for help on YouTube but found none.  So I've experimented a little & have come up with this, and as a leaf fanatic I collect and press dozens every year.  They dry and flatten quickly in the pages of an old book, because the pages are more porous. You can have leaves ready within days of beginning ;)




Step 1 - You must use leaves that are pressed and dried!  There may be other techniques that I'm not aware of, but this one requires leaves that are fairly flat & dry :)

   
2 - to prevent the leaf from becoming a crumbling mess, apply Mod Podge.  I used both the matte and the gloss and decided that I like the matte better because it simply 
looks more natural.  I found the best way to apply it is with a flat paint brush coating it first on one side, wait until it has dried clear and then turning the leaf to do the other side.  I do lots at a time so that I have many options when I'm ready to make my projects! 
NOTE:  I am thinking that any medium that dries clear and remains flexable will work, as long as you can stamp on it & heat it up for embossing without negative side effects! That is what your looking for.  

3 - prep the leaf with an anti-static tool. (usually a little bag of powder!) This helps embossing powder easily slide away from the parts that are not stamped.
 

4-  Ink you stamp with a vibrant color.  I have found that the color tends to fade, so 
vibrant is best

5 - Leave your ink to dry or if you are embossing now is the time to apply the powder.  Heat it gently and quickly as possible!  The leaf is really sensitive to the heat so be careful not to scorch it!

If you choose to skip the Mod Podge step you will find that the stamping and embossing tend to spread out, I think due to the porosity of the leaf.  It will also be VERY fragile and that leads to frustration!! 

6 - As a precaution I like to put another layer of MP on both sides of the leaf to keep it sealed & flexable.

Have Fun! ~ try dotting your leaf with Nuvo Crystal Drops or TH Liquid Pearls or even pearl powders!  You'll love experimenting so be sure to prep LOTS of leaves so that you don't run out!!  

These turn out so beautiful!  I'm excited to be sharing some of my projects in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! If you would like to place an order please leave your comment here or PM me on Facebook.com Wendy Falk. I'll get back to you ASAP.