Community Favorites

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

DIY Clear Front Gem Holder

I am so excited to be crafting my new craft room!!  My daughter moved out after graduation leaving an empty bed room -  -  -  Well, almost empty!  She still needs a place to sleep when she is able to visit home, but in the mean time I have a place to stash my art supplies that isn't the dining room table!!

I LOVE to organize!  Seeing the colors and shapes I love displayed in an orderly way makes me want to use them (as opposed to the chaos of my dining room table!!)  I've never been able to see my little gems as I'm crafting so I seldom remember to use them. I pondered putting them into a drawer, or a little shelf. . . . . but I just really wanted to be able to SEE them!

Then the thought occurred to me I could make a clear fronted box for them that would take up very little shelf space!  Here's a simple picture tutorial of how I crafted it, using clear left over packaging and light weight cardboard (the kind tucked inside folded shirts) covered with my favorite colored paper!
  1. Determine the size of the box you want to make.  I used my largest package to measure for the width adding 1/8" to each side of it.  The 2 sides are identical and will be the depth.  Score each edge at 1/4" for connection tabs. (no worries about the 4th side of the box, it will be clear!


     2.  The sides of the bottom tray should be the identical measurement of the 2 sides + the back.  Add 1/2 " to the overall dimension and score each side at 1/4". Snip 1 side of each corner to make tabs and glue to make a tray. 
 

        3.  If you would like to add colorful paper to the sides of your project, now is the time to do so.  It is so much easier when the paper is flat!  Adding a second layer of paper also helps the box to be more sturdy :) 

       4.  Attach the 3 panel sheet from step 1 around the outside of the tray, bending on the score lines.  Glue/tape all of the tray tabs except the ones on the front where there is no panel yet. 

      5.  Cut the clear front exactly the dimensions of the back panel, putting it into place using the tabs from the sides and bottom to affix it into place.  I used 1/8th" Scor-Tape on the tabs.



1 comment:

  1. Brilliant idea and lovely execution, Wendy! So happy that you have a place all your own now. xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I LOVE hearing from you!! If you would like to place an order please leave your comment here or PM me on Facebook.com Wendy Falk. I'll get back to you ASAP.